BCL Solicitors LLP
John is a partner specialising in all aspects of business crime, with a particular interest in confiscation, civil recovery and money laundering under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (“POCA”).
His business crime experience includes representing suspects, defendants and witnesses in cases invoking allegations of bribery and corruption, fraud (including carbon credits, carousel/MTIC, land-banking, Ponzi and pyramid scheme frauds), insider trading, market abuse, price-fixing, sanctions-busting, and tax evasion. He has coordinated and undertaken corporate investigations and defended in cases brought by BEIS, the FCA, HMRC, NCA, OFT, SFO and others.
He has particular expertise in the myriad legal provisions on anti-money laundering (“AML”) requirements in the regulated sector under the Money Laundering Regulations (“MLR”), civil recovery and confiscation of the proceeds of crime, and criminal offences of money laundering under POCA, as well as related areas such as financial sanctions. He advises businesses (inside and outside the regulated sector) on AML policies and procedures generally, as well as particular risks that may arise under the MLR, POCA, and sanctions laws, including advice on the submission of Suspicious Activity Reports and consent requests. He regularly represents individuals and businesses in connection with confiscation, property freezing and restraint orders, including in relation to applications to defend, discharge or vary such orders.
- Available nowFinancial and trade sanctions and export controls (2019)Corporate CrimeTopics discussed will include:Brexit – its impact on the structure and content of sanctions regimes (including the Sanctions and Anti-Money Laundering Act)Current diverging and fluctuating ...
- Available nowBrexit for corporate crime lawyers (2019)Corporate Crime|BrexitTopics discussed will include:Timetable for Brexit political situation if no deal consequences e.g. general electionImplication for legislation and existing treatiesTax and immigration issuesHow will the ...
- Available nowThe Money Laundering Regulations 2017 and potential impact of the proposed 5MLDPrivate Client Law and PracticeThis webinar will consider the key concepts of the Money Laundering Regulations 2017, with particular focus on how they impact trusts and trustees. Topics to ...
- Available nowThe Criminal Finances Act 2017Corporate CrimeThe Criminal Finances Act 2017 coming into force is a massive development in corporate crime practice, not least of all due to its new offence ...
Subscribe to our webinars
LexisNexis® Webinars are available on subscription or for individual purchase. An individual purchase delivers one hour of training for just £75+VAT, a subscription delivers this considerably more cost-effectively.
Buy now and enjoy the following benefits:
- Interactive and engaging – full audio-visual.
- Watch the archived webinar, anytime you like, for up to two years after the broadcast date.
- Available on your desktop, laptop, tablet computer or mobile.
- Cost-effective – no membership fees, great discounts for group bookings, and minimal impact on your billable time.
- Authoritative – the latest developments, delivered by leading experts.
- Trustworthy – supported by Lexis®Library – download case reports, transcripts and speaker slides.